One of the best ways to cure bleeding and inflammation is good brushing. If the bleeding is mild, simply use a special mouthwash for gums after brushing. Although the bleeding appears when we brush, continuing to do it properly will allow it to stop. It would be a mistake not to do so because this would imply that the symptoms are accentuated. The condition improves with a gentle brushing after each meal, focusing on inflamed areas. Use dental floss or interproximal brushes to clean the areas between the teeth. Do not forget to clean your tongue, because under it are 70% of the bacteria in the mouth. Serious cases should be attended by a specialist. Opting for professional medical treatment such as those provided by maxillofacial surgery could be the solution. Especially if the symptoms get worse.
Other tips to prevent bleeding
- Lower sugar consumption – because it facilitates the accumulation of tartar.
- Increase the intake of vegetables, fruits and other calcium-rich foods such as spinach and dairy.
- Discard tobacco – because it causes blood vessels to rupture by reducing their flexibility and consumes a lot of water.
- Massaging the gums with aloe vera for its anti-inflammatory properties, will reduce bleeding.
- Do not consume aspirin
- Visit the dentist at least every six months.
A dentist usually performs a treatment to reduce inflammation with the elimination of bacterial plaque. Combine it with home therapy guidelines that can be antimicrobial through antiseptic or antibiotic mouthwashes.
- Specialists recommend using the electric brush with oscillating rotational technology because it is more effective in removing the plate. It also controls the usage time better. Try to brush making circular and smooth movements.
- On the other hand, toothpaste must contain anti-plaque properties to combat dental biolfilm. There are options in the market where they combine fluoride with other compounds such as tin fluoride to be more effective.
Treatments for gingivitis and periodontitis
When severe gingivitis occurs, as a cause of why my gums bleed, the patient should be given antibiotics and chlorhexidine rinses. In case of periodontitis, you must undergo several tests including photos, evaluation of the gum by catheterization and radiographs.
Then perform scraping and root smoothing to achieve deep hygiene. You will have the situation under control after three or four months. If you suffer from severe periodontitis, surgery will become necessary to recover the bone.
Another option to cure gums is to apply natural treatment. Many are inclined to use salt water twice a day. Mix a tablespoon of salt in a glass with water. It works as an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory, it is used after brushing as a mouthwash. Lemon is another option, add the juice of half a lemon in a glass of warm water. Meanwhile, tea with honey helps with the tannic acid it contains by having antiseptic properties. In addition, honey is antibacterial, its combination will help lower inflammation.
In severe cases, rinse your mouth with ice water every two hours or suck ice cubes to stop bleeding. If the soft bristle brush still causes bleeding, use a disposable sponge swab or ice cream stick wrapped in gauze. To soften the bristles, pour hot water. Avoid hot foods and drinks, eat foods of soft consistency but high in calories and protein. And, remember that prostheses should be kept out of the mouth if they don’t fit properly.