Simi Valley, CA area patients interested in preventative dentistry solutions will want to speak with Dr. Kevin Ju and his team at Hello Smile Dental about the ways to keep the teeth and gums healthy. By maintaining a healthy smile with a proper oral hygiene routine, patients can significantly reduce their risk of developing gum disease (periodontal disease) or cavities (tooth decay or dental caries). Because these conditions are entirely preventable, patients must be educated on what problems such as periodontal disease can cause and how to treat and prevent them. Our team offers dental cleanings and dental exams in Simi Valley, CA to spot problems early and integrate effective treatment solutions into the patient’s daily smile routine. But first, patients must understand what gum disease is and how it impacts the smile’s health if left untreated and unmanaged.
What is gum disease?
Dr. Kevin Ju describes gum disease as a condition that impacts the health of the smile. This condition is an infection that starts in the soft tissues of the mouth and spreads. It can result in the shrinking of the bone, gum tissue, and even the loss of permanent teeth. By understanding the causes of gum disease, patients can effectively protect their smiles from damage. With proper oral hygiene habits, patients can also reduce their risk of developing cavities, another completely preventable condition.
Gum disease treatment in Simi Valley, CA
Patients diagnosed with periodontal disease will want to work with their dentist to restore the health of their smiles. The dentist will provide a thorough evaluation of the smile, which may include x-rays to assess the health of the jaw bone. Sometimes, bone resorption occurs with periodontal disease, during which the bone of the jaw will shrink. This can result in teeth becoming loose or lost. When a patient has a proper diagnosis, they can then discuss gum disease treatment in Simi Valley. Treatment might include antibiotics or scaling and root planing. Once the condition has been treated, the patient can then work with Dr. Kevin Ju to discuss restoration of the smile. This includes the replacement of missing teeth or the rebuilding of the bone and gum tissues.
How can I reduce my risk of gum disease and tooth decay?
There are many ways to keep the gums and teeth healthy. Below are several recommendations from our team at Hello Smile Dental:
- After every meal, brush the teeth with fluoride toothpaste and floss in-between to remove food particles from the surfaces of the teeth and gums.
- Use a mouthwash after caring for the smile to freshen breath and further address bacteria in the mouth.
- Use a tongue scraper to remove bacteria that can be harmful to the smile.
- Call the dentist as soon as any unusual changes occur in the smile to get a proper diagnosis and early treatment intervention.
- Schedule routine dental visits, including dental cleanings and dental exams in Simi Valley, CA dental practices.
- Eat a nutritious diet and stay active, which can not only reduce problems within the smile but allow patients to lead healthy lifestyles and improve their daily quality of life.
How do I learn about ways to keep gums healthy? In addition to the information above, patients may also benefit from an appointment with Dr. Kevin Ju and his team at Hello Smile Dental for education in oral health care and hygiene. Call (805) 380-5048 today to request a visit at 1782 Erringer Road. The office is open to new and established patients in the Simi Valley, CA area.